Practising Law Institute (“PLI”), an innovative leader in legal education programs and services, is searching for an experienced, dynamic professional to fill the role of Vice President, Programs. This position requires a J.D. as well as a significant background in management and operations. PLI’s client base includes a large array of prestigious law firms, corporations and government agencies.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is passionate about providing high quality, current and engaging education to the legal community and related business professionals.
The Vice President is responsible for leading and managing the operational, financial performance and legal content development of the Programs department which produces highly regarded Continuing Legal Education (CLE) and other professional programs. The talented staff of the department includes Program Attorneys, Program Assistants and Conference Center employees located in New York and San Francisco.
The Vice President will maintain a thorough understanding of legal developments in multiple areas of U.S. and international law, as well as stay abreast of competition in the CLE field. The Vice President will proactively provide strategic ideas on updating current content, as well as introducing new content and new ways to deliver CLE and other professional courses. This role will also work closely with the accreditation and compliance department to ensure that PLI programs meet appropriate criteria for CLE and other professional credit.
The Vice President is a member of the senior management team and reports directly to the President.
The Vice President of Programs will oversee staff and content in the Program, Pro Bono, SEC Institute, and Patent Office Exam areas.
- Oversees the successful creation and execution of live and webcast programs, and One-hour online audio briefings produced by PLI’s Program Attorneys.
- Responsible for developing and achieving goals set in annual Program department budget.
This includes anticipated registration and attendance, and expected revenue and expenses.
- Research and maintain current knowledge of legal developments to ensure that existing and new programs address relevant topics, attract a large number of program participants and meet revenue goals.
- Monitor new developments for “first to market” One-hour briefings and programs.
- Provide guidance to the Program Attorneys regarding research and design of programs, and evaluation of current and prospective faculty speakers.
- Works closely with VP, Membership to gain information on feedback provided by Privileged Members and program participants to PLI’s Sales and Customer Service teams regarding content requests, program offerings and delivery of programs.
- Works closely with VP, Marketing and Communications to ensure programs are marketed effectively, and program website content is accurate and appealing.
- In collaboration with the CIO, ensure that all technology and multimedia needs for live, webcast, online and archived programs are successfully met and IT problems are resolved.
- Collaborate with CLE department to ensure programs adhere to MCLE rules, requirements and policies across all states and jurisdictions.
- Works closely with Publishing to identify key legal developments and opportunities for new publications.
- Collaborate with Research & Development group on development of content for both dedicated immerse online courses and incorporation of cutting-edge technology into live programs.
- Work directly with other key departments at PLI as appropriate, including Finance and HR.
- The Vice President has ultimate responsibility for PLI’s volunteer faculty with respect to any policies, issues, or questions.
- Develops and maintains relationships with members of relevant professional organizations. Attends CLE-related association conferences, as appropriate.
- Attend and present reports at select Board Committee Meetings.
- Other projects, as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of 8 to 10 years of management and operational experience in continuing legal education or other continuing professional education.
- J.D. and admittance to a U.S. state bar is required.
- Demonstrated senior level management experience with the proven ability to lead a large team and effectively manage the operations of a sizable department.
- Demonstrable success leading transformation and growth through innovative content development and delivery of continuing education programs and platforms.
- Experience motivating and developing employees and instilling the importance of accountability to achieve success is highly imperative.
- Demonstrates proactive approach to maintaining knowledge of current legal developments.
- Periodic travel is required.
- Strong Manager: Effectively gets the team to work together toward a common goal. Selects and positions individuals in his/her department for success. Able to develop team members.
- Productive Relationship Builder: Capable of initiating and cultivating productive relationships with both internal and external constituencies.
- Skilled Communicator: Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strategic Thinker: Armed with information about current legal developments, is able to see opportunities for PLI to strengthen and expand its position in the CLE marketplace, and set overall strategy for program content and delivery to align with organizational priorities.
- Passionate about continuing legal education and training of the current and next generation of lawyers.
- Demonstrates curiosity; is enthusiastic about learning.
- Ethical and trustworthy as shown by consistent action.
- Highly intelligent with strong performance standards.
- Anticipates and deals with issues proactively.
- Serves as a role model for the organization; has an appropriate professional image.
- Well-organized and self-directed.
- Energetic with a strong work ethic.
- Collaborative team player, caring and collegial.
For over 80 years PLI has been considered the “gold standard” as a leader in continuing legal and professional business training education. With employees located in our New York City and San Francisco offices, PLI presents hundreds of live programs each year in state-of-the-art conference centers throughout the U.S. and abroad. Recent international seminar locations include London and Hong Kong.
In addition to hosting innovative live programs, PLI streams webcasts and offers on-demand programs for thousands of participants each day. PLI publishes a variety of treatises, answer books, course handbooks and has an award-winning online research platform, PLI Plus. PLI offers the nation’s leading preparation course for the Patent Office’s Registration Exam, and provides SEC compliance and accounting training through its SEC Institute. The organization also develops unique, engaging ways of learning through its Interactive Learning Center. Through its mission as a nonprofit organization, PLI is deeply committed to the pro bono community and public interest organizations.
BENEFITS AT PLI
PLI offers market-competitive compensation and a generous benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans for employees and their families, PLI contributions to a retirement account, ample paid time off and holidays, summer Fridays, career development opportunities, and work-life balance initiatives. The PLI work environment is interesting, collegial, intelligent and supportive.
Only those applicants who meet our requirements for this position will be contacted.
Practising Law Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
More information about PLI may be found on our website www.pli.edu.
You may download or print the job description below:
Recruitment Ad for VP Programs