Join PLI and represent the legal community’s premier provider of continuing education and research services as a Director, Communications in our New York office. Work in a collaborative environment that prides itself on a genuine commitment to a work-life balance (3+ weeks of vacation days!). Grow your career and develop effective written content that advances PLI’s mission and brand.
For more than 80 years, PLI has served the legal community with innovative products and quality programming, building a sterling reputation spanning the country.
Your responsibilities as Director, Communications
- Develop, execute, streamline, and elevate internal and external communications strategies, content plans, and processes to drive the PLI mission, brand and culture.
- Lead PLI’s media relations efforts by managing press relations and materials, pitching and developing relationships with the media, and identifying opportunities to advance PLI through print and online publications.
- Produce a wide range of communications content including but not limited to press releases, presentations, intranet and web copy, social media messaging, blog posts, newsletters, and talking points.
- Assist with crafting brand positioning, brand voice, and key marketing message points.
- Support copywriting efforts across Marketing, Programs and other internal departments to ensure a cohesive brand voice and tone.
- Craft and maintain a PLI writing style guide to ensure consistency and accuracy across all departments and platforms.
- Write and edit content for the PLI website.
- Provide communications strategy and messaging for PLI tradeshows and events. Respond to RFPs for upcoming conferences and explore opportunities to showcase PLI at industry events.
- Work closely with leadership to identify new thought leadership opportunities including external speaking engagements, articles, interviews, etc.
- Be the story-telling ambassador to drive content marketing within the organization, to build strong relationships with members and customers and drive brand loyalty and understanding of PLI’s unique value proposition and history.
- Keep abreast of media and marketing trends and apply insights to PLI communications strategy.
- Special assignments for the President.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Qualified candidates will have:
- BA degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field is required. J.D. or Master of Journalism a plus.
- 5 - 7 years of communications or public relations experience required.
- Ability to execute simultaneously on multiple projects with tight deadlines and prioritize the workload.
- Stellar writing and copyediting skills with a flair for storytelling. High comfort level writing for marketing, public relations, and other business audiences.
- Experience publishing content through a content management system.
- Knowledge and experience using media management and tracking tools.
- A versatile self-starter and creative thinker with the capability to see the big picture with keen attention to detail.
- Solid interpersonal skills and can build relationships across departments.
- A “roll up your sleeves” attitude.
- Established relationships with reporters/producers at leading media outlets a plus.
Your benefits at PLI
PLI offers a generous benefits package and is committed to creating an interesting, collegial, and supportive work environment. Our current benefits include:
- Medical, dental and vision plans for employees and their families
- Generous employer contribution to employee retirement savings account
- Ample paid time off and holidays, summer Fridays
- Unlimited access to LinkedIn Learning web-based training along with other career development opportunities
- Work-life balance initiatives
Practising Law Institute (“PLI”) is a nonprofit learning organization dedicated to keeping attorneys and professionals at the forefront of knowledge and expertise, as well as preparing them to fulfill their pro bono responsibilities.
Chartered by the Regents of the University of the State of New York, PLI was founded in 1933 by Harold P. Seligson. The organization provides the highest quality, accredited, continuing legal and professional education programs in a variety of formats. PLI publishes a comprehensive library of Treatises, Course Handbooks, Answer Books and Journals also available through the PLI PLUS online platform. The essence of PLI’s mission is a commitment to the pro bono community and with over 98,000 attendees at our pro bono programs this past year.